Introduction (Inside Cover)
The history of the Fordson tractor can be traced back to 1915 when Henry Ford experimented with agricultural tractors, which resulted in the production of what became the Fordson model F tractor. The First World War accelerated initial production of the tractor which was imported by the British government to assist in food production towards the end of the war. Early imports weren't badged as Fordsons, but were known as MOM's, after the Ministry of Munitions responsible for their importing and leasing them to farmers.
Henry Ford applied the same manufacturing principles to the tractors as he did for his cars and this resulted in the Fordson becoming the most popular tractor available for many years, due to low production costs which were passed on to the customer.
Manufacture of the model F took place at Dearborn and Cork in the Republic of Ireland during the 1920s, with an improved tractor known as the model N being introduced in Cork in 1929. Production continued here until 1932 when the famous Dagenham plant in England started up.
With improvements the model N was produced through the difficult years of the 1930s and remained in production throughout the Second World War.
Peacetime saw the introduction of the popular Fordson E27N Major which brought more power, later models also offering Diesel as an option. At this time the Ford Motor Company worked in conjunction with Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies to offer a package of power matched implements to the range. The 1950s saw the introduction of one of the most popular tractors of its day, the Fordson Major Diesel, followed by the Power Major and Super Major derivatives which continued in popular demand until production ceased at Dagenham in late 1964.
The popularity of Fordson tractors in use, both in agriculture and industrial conversions has led to them being equally popular to collectors and many examples are to be seen around today.