Gardner diesel engines gained an unrivalled reputation for reliability and economy in commercial vehicles installations when they were first used in 1930. However, the Gardner name for highest quality engineering was established decades before. Their early engines originated in 1894 and within ten years marine engineers had recognised the soundness of Gardner designs.
L. Gardner & Sons Limited perfected the first high speed, direct injection, diesel engine in 1929. This worldwide first by a British company, which revolutionised commercial road transport, has never been fully recognised.
This comprehensive study of a Manchester company whose name became revered in over forty countries worldwide traces the origins of the firm in 1868 until it ceased engine production almost 130 years later. Much of the information in this book has never been previously published and the text is profusely illustrated with over 260 archive photos.