This is the only comprehensive source of information for Chevrolet and GMC light trucks—a history, buyer's guide, service manual, and high performance tuning book all in one!
Discover every aspect of Chevrolet and GMC light trucks from the 1930s "Stovebolt" and "Jimmy" 6-cylinder engines through the latest technological advances found in today's trucks. You'll learn tips for buying the right new or used truck for your needs, which accessories make sense, and how to safely operate 2WD and 4WD trucks on- and off-road.
For do-it-yourself owners, this book provides specific step-by-step procedures with hundreds of photos covering basic maintenance and more complicated work like engine tune-ups, valve adjustments, brake jobs, and installing an aftermarket suspension/lift kit.
Even if you never work on your truck yourself, this book will help you understand repairs that a qualified technician performs so you can communicate clearly and ensure correct, cost-effective repairs.
Interested in high-performance? Get the hot set-up for your truck, whether you want low end torque or high RPM horsepower. Experts at GM Motorsport and the Chevrolet Raceshop teamed up with the author to give you specific tuning recommendations for engines from the OHV sixes to the ultimate in V-8 performance—the 454 Turbo Jet and Gen V V-8s. You'll also find suspension and chassis modifications, plus sensible tire and wheel combinations.
Every Chevrolet and GMC owner should have this book in the cab or on the book shelf. This is the essential companion book for your truck.
Covers all 1939-95 models, including:
• Full-size and C/K trucks to 1-ton capacity
• Sierra C/K to 3500 Series
• Full-size Blazer/Jimmy, Yukon/Tahoe
1. Evolution of Chevrolet and GMC Light Trucks
2. Buying A Light Truck
3. Operating Your Truck
4. Working on Your Truck
5. Lubrication and Maintenance
6. Troubleshooting and Minor Adjustments
7. Cooling System Service
8. Engine Tune-up and Emission Controls
9. Clutch and Transmission Service
10. Transfer Case, Driveshafts, Axles and Hubs
11. Suspension and Steering
12. Brakes and Wheel Bearings
13. Body and Detailing
14. Electrical System Basics
16. GM Engine Performance: From Trail to Track
17. Geartrain Modifications
18. Suspension, Wheel and Tire Upgrades Appendices: Sources, Toolbox, Engine Break-in, 4x4 Trials